Friday, April 6, 2012

You Are Beautiful

My first grassroots revolt of April was making out these post-it notes.


My plan is to stick them on advertisements or products in local retailers. So if there is anything in Target or Wal-Mart that catches my eye, be it an advert for Ava Longoria selling mascara or a tub of skin lightener in the ethnic beauty aisle, it will get my post-it note.

I want women to feel beautiful and comfortable in their own skin and it's hard to feel that way, in America, when you're being bombarded with consumerism. In my case, I don't start to feel less than until I flip through a copy of Glamour and see all the clothes and beauty products I could buy. All of a sudden, I start to feel as though these "things" can make me a better woman.

That can't be right. I also get that "less than" feeling when I walk through a shopping mall. I'm surrounded with slim petite mannequins that can wear the latest fashions that I either can't fit in or afford. That can't be right either.

When I wake up in the morning, I am satisfied with myself. I like my body, I like my clothes, I feel good. But once you leave the safety of your home, things can get hairy. So from now on, I'm going to take my post-its with me. I want to remind myself and others that my worth and self-esteem can't be bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment