Sunday, February 5, 2012

And Now We Protest. . .

It's February and it's time for actual protest!

First Protest: Going Vegetarian

After reading and watching so many resources, I decided that the first immediate thing I could do was to abstain from animal products. That includes the obvious:
  • Beef
  • Chicken
  • Pork
And the not so obvious:
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Fish
Not having cow's milk isn't too difficult to cut off this month because I'm actually lactos-intolerant. I haven't been eating cheese products or drinking milk for a few months now. Almond milk has been a great replacement but I do miss cheese. I haven't had pizza in a few months either!

I love eggs, but I cut them out because it's not an easy life for an egg laying hen. She's pumped full of hormones so she can pump out more eggs. The stress we put on "layers" is tremendous. I can't imagine living a life in a cramped location doing only one job and then dying young.

This is an ethical protest but I am aware of the health benefits I stand to gain. I will finally get the nutrients my diet has lacked. So far, I know my vitamin intake has shot up in the last few days because I'm making myself eat leafy greens and other basic healthy foods.

This won't be the only protest I engage in, but it's the most immediate change I can make.
Please look for more protests this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment