Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Revolt Gone Terribly Wrong

I love animals and I will protest for them, but I'll never do something so psychotic as kill someone. Today, I saw the news report about a woman named Meredith Lowell from Cleveland, Ohio hiring a hit man (FBI agent) to kill anyone randomly wearing fur. It's so bizarre how she laid out the plan for the would be hit man who, I'm sure, was recording her in disbelief.

Source
 Lowell identified with the animal rights group Animal Liberation Front, ALF, which is widely known for using violence to prove their point. These are people that can ratchet the protest to a dangerous point. They are considered a domestic terrorist group. The young woman also compared her liberation of animals to the WWII troops "liberating people from Nazi camps."

The whole story is just plain disturbing. Her reasoning is disturbing as well. Although not uncommon. Animals have been compared to a lot of oppressed people in history. It's an interesting tactic that's very exploitative and jarring. Lately, PETA has made a point to compare whales in captivity to America's history of slavery. It's a very irresponsible claim to make. Although I don't like the oppression of any living thing, the timing of their statement is disrespectful. It's Black History Month! As a black woman I sometimes feel like: "Damn, can't I just have small amount of time for recognition?" No, cause PETA's taking that away from me.

The gimmicks, the shock and the disturbing are taking away from all of these people's message. What starts out as well meaning work and protest gets out of control. At the end of the day, these people look like fools and make the rest of look like dangerous quacks. Here's that clip about PETA:


No comments:

Post a Comment