Tuesday, January 10, 2012

No Hopping Rabbit?

While conditioning my hair in the shower, I used my favorite Herbal Essences conditioner, it looks like this:


And the back of the bottle DID NOT have either of these signs:


 










Now I'm a little concerned because I use this product often. It's owned by the company Clairol, which is owned by Proctor and Gamble. P&G are well known for all of the products they manufacture, but even more, they are well known for their animal testing. They are still on PeTA's list of Companies That Do Animal Test.

I also found this website from the UK, where the people there are protesting Herbal Essences products. They call their protest Hurtful Essences. They claim that the haircare company has been force feeding their products to pregnant rats even though the ingredients in their shampoo are supposedly not harmful to human.

This makes me wonder about the reason for testing cosmetics on animals. Does your product have ingredients so suspect that you can't test them on me, the person who will eventually use it? And force feeding rats shampoo? I'm not sure how necessary that is and would like a researcher to explain this to me.
I will investigate the matter more and it might be a future protest. But for now, I'm trying to be mindful of all the products I use.

No comments:

Post a Comment