Friday, January 20, 2012

Squirrels at My Patio


I have a tenuous relationship with the squirrels in my back patio. They raided the pumpkins that I put outside for the fall. They literally drilled holes in them and ate all of the seeds. It ruined the overall look of my patio, but they seemed happy.

Now that the pumpkins are completely deflated and snow is on the ground, there is less and less for them to eat. I felt sorry for the little guys and started throwing nuts at them. They seem to really appreciate it. They're coming a lot closer to me and exhibiting a lot less nervous vibes.

On the days that I forget to throw peanuts on the ground, I can see their frantic footprints circling in the snow and feel awful. Am I tampering with their natural abilities to survive in the winter? Should I stop enabling them? I threw down some more peanuts this morning during my smoke break, just in case anyone should come back looking for treats. Does this mean I'm grocery shopping for squirrels and my pet rabbit.

Maybe. I don't see how a little treat hurts. People do it all the time with bird feeders and that hasn't destroyed the ecosystem of North America.

No comments:

Post a Comment